Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Philosophy of Education

                The purpose of education can be defined in many ways.  It is always changing.  Students evolve more and more and the years go by.  They become smarter and experience more things in life.  As a teacher, I will stay ahead of the game.  I will keep up on the new technology and breakthroughs in the world of science.  I believe as teachers, we need to continue to grow and teach our students what they will need in the real world.  I will make sure they learn my content area, as well as instill core values within them.
                I believe the classroom needs to be student-driven.  More and more students are hands-on learners.  Students in my classroom will develop critical thinking skills and practice these through hands-on labs and activities.  Students will know what I expect of them and will get the job done.  Students in my classroom will also feel safe.  I know this is imperative to great student learning.
                As a teacher, I will draw the students into my content area of science.  I will do this by using hands-on activities, but more importantly, relating all of their experiences in my classroom to the real world.  I will be respectful of my students and allow them to have their own opinions and make choices.  I will not just lecture in my classroom.  I will have plenty of projects for the students to complete to help them learn the standards.
                Technology is very important in our world today.  Technology is used every day no matter where you turn.  I will implement technology into my classroom.  I will help students understand how to use it and show them how it is beneficial.  I will show this to my students by allowing them to do virtual labs.  They will see that these labs cannot be done in real life, whether it is because of the chemicals used or for lack of time.  This will show them how important technology really is, especially for educational purposes.

                I will make sure to help students enjoy learning.  They need to have fun, as well as improve their skills within the classroom.  I will motivate my students and help them grow.  As an educator, I will implement activities using all of the learning styles, making sure my students learn the material in their own individual ways.

1 comment:

  1. You clearly evidence a student-driven philosophy, Katrina! Nice! No doubt you bring Science alive in your classes. : >

    ReplyDelete