Monday, May 12, 2014

Shifting Focus

     The society we live in is technology-driven.  I think we all know that.  However, teaching students to use technology to learn can be tricky.  It is almost overwhelming for them at times.  When I taught AP chemistry, I would ask students to write the procedure for a specific lab.  I also told them they could utilize any online resources to do so.  They all looked at me with the "deer in headlights" look.  I realized that I assumed they knew how to research things and assumed that they were comfortable with their iPads (after all, they are on their iPhones, iPods, etc. all day outside of school).  I took a huge step back and started explaining things in baby steps.  I told them to first research  research what materials they would need, then how to write a procedure, and so on.  I was also sure to always use technology in my lessons.  This gave them the ability to become more comfortable and less hesitant with their devices.
     Students can show us mastery and understanding of a material while using their devices in multiple ways.  However, the way I found it most useful was to give them open-ended questions and to not limit what they can use on their iPads.  For example, the students had a project on careers in chemistry.  I gave them limitations and things that had to be covered, of course, but that was it.  It took them awhile to get started.  I would have one group raise their hand and say, "Can we make a keynote."  I simply replied, "yes."  Somebody else asked, "Can we use garage band?"  Again, "yes."  It got to the point where their realized the sky was the limit and their projects were unbelievable.  They included music, embedded movies, slide transitions, and anything else you can imagine!

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous project that must have been for them to work on! AP kids, especially, need to be given some leeway in the decision-making. They can be so creative! =D

    ReplyDelete